Just to Share with you………..
Raw Banana /Plantain called is called as “Valakkai” in tamil and ‘Arati Kaaya’ in Andhra. In most of the places in Tamil Nadu for occassions like Marriage, kathoo kutthu(ear piercing), seer, wedding reception and in bride and bride grooms house you can see the front is decorated with banana tree (root will be taken out) with full raw banana that. Once the function was over the owner will cut the raw banana that and share it with their neighbours. It is still happening . Itz a nice memory.
Here in H-Mart I bought a Plaintain . That is from Hawaii. I want to share this picture so you will also get a chance to see Hawaii valzhakkai. . It is little bit different from our normal plantain. You can see the difference in the head part. It is somewhat bulged at the head part. Ater seeing that I want to try that plaintain too so I made poriyal using that . It tastes good. I made a slight variation when I made poriyal with Hawaii plaintain. Instead of grated coconut I added powder of roated groundnut.
Hawaii Plaintain poriyal
1. Raw Banana/ valakkai – 1
2. Mustard-1/4 tsp
3. Urudhal, channa dhal – 1/2 tsp
4. curry leaves
5. onion small size-1
6. red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp (instead of this you can add 3 green chillies/Pacha milagai)
7. turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
8. Salt and oil as needed.
1. Heat a tsp of oil in Kadai. Splutter mustard, urudhal, channadhal and curry leaves.
2. Add chopped onions and fry.
3. Peel the thick skin of valakkai and cut into small cubes and add that into kadai.
4. Add salt ,Redchilli powder, Turmericpowder and little water and cook well.
5. If you want you can garnish with coconut at the end when valakkai is done and dry.
you can do the below not only this poriyal for any other poriyal like avarakkai portal, poriyal that tai, muttacose /cabbage poriyal etc.
- You can add grated coconut at the end.
- you can add dry powder of roasted peanut.
- you can add dry powder of pottu kadalai at the end.
This entry was posted
on Thursday, April 24th, 2008 at 5:02 pm and is filed under Poriyal / side dish, Valakkai / Raw Banana/Plaintain, Vegetarian.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Digg it | Bookmark at del.icio.us