Just to Share with you……
I am not sure whether people in Tamil Nadu will get this fruit because I have never seen this in Coimbatore District. After my marriage when we stayed in Bangalore we went to Coorg once. It is almost 10 years back. In that trip we visited a temple there I get to taste this Star fruit for the first time.
In US, this fruit is found in most of the Chinese and Korean shops. It is available through out the year here. We used to buy this often and eat with salt and chilli powder sprinkled on the pieces like we used to eat Pineapple in Tamil Nadu. Two days back I bought this from H-Mart. This time the fruit was not ripen and it was raw. Since it is fruit which has sour taste the raw fruit won’t be good to eat. I don’t want to throw this fruit. Because of sour taste I got an idea to make pickle hoping that it will be good. So I tried which results in very good end product.
Star friut pickle
1. Star fruits – 2
2. Oil ( Sesame oil will be good for pickles) – 4 tsp
3. Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
4. Curry leaves a handful
5. Chilli powder – 5 Teaspoons
6. Fenugreek seeds powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
8. Asafoetida (soft) – little
9. Salt as needed
1. First wash and wipe out with dry cloth. Cut the fruit and remove the seeds and chop it and keep aside.
2. Pour oil in skillet once it is hot add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add star fruits and all the powders. Mix well until everything get bended well.
4. Keep this in low flame for 5 mins. This is just to make the fruit little tender. Don’t cook it . If you cook then it won’t be good.
5. This pickle goes well with curd rice.
This entry was posted
on Saturday, January 19th, 2013 at 10:04 pm and is filed under Fruits, Pickle.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Digg it | Bookmark at del.icio.us