Just to share with you………..
Paruppu Vadai /Aama vadai is basically a dish of Tamilnadu origin which is usually made during family feasts and is served as a starter. Most of the lunch menu for special occasions will include this Paruppu vada and Payasam. It is a fast and easy mouth watering appetizer which can be made in minutes. Advantage of this recipe is that you need not search for much of ingredients in your pantry and fridge. Since the outer layer of masala vada is very crispy it can be eaten as tea time snack.
1. Channa dal – 1 cup
2. Ani seeds/Sombu - 1 tsp
3. Ginger - very little
4. Green chilles - 4
5. Onion -1
6. Curry leaves
7. Corriander leaves
8. Oil for frying
1. Soak channa dal in water for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside a fistful of drained channa dal (optional) and grind the rest of the channa dal with sombu/ani seeds coarsely.
2. To this coarse mixture add chopped onions, curry leaves, coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, finely chopped ginger and salt.
3. Add the remaining channa dal (optional) and mix well. Make small lemon-sized balls and pat it lightly on your palm and slide into hot oil and deep fry until golden brown.
Instead of green chill we can add red chill while grinding.
To Make Keerai Vadai/Greens vada
You can add chooped spinach along with corase grinded dal. Or you can add Drumstick greens (Murunga keerai) – It will taste good
To Make Valapoo vadai
You can add cleaned and finely chopped banana flower. There is a another method to make Valpoo vada that we will see later.
Mixture of Dals
Instead of channa dal/Kadalaparuppu you can mke Channa dal 1/2 and toor dal 1/2 cup.
Just to share with you….
This Palak rice is my very own recipe. Two days back I tried this recipe. It is a hybrid of Kadancha keerai and keerai portal. This came out very well.
1. Basmathi rice – 1 cup (can use other rices too)
2. Chopped spinach – 3 cups
3. Green chillis - 2 to 3
4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
5. Onion -1 /4 roughly chopped
6. Oil -1 tsp
7. Pattai, kirambu (cinnamon,cloves) – 1 each
To fry seperately
1. Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
2. Curry leaves
3. Urud dhal – 1 tsp
4. Channa dhal – 1 tsp
5. Red chilli -2
6. Onion smal size -1
7. salt as needed
1. Soak Basmathi rice in water for 15 mins. This will make your rice longer/lengthier.
2. Take chopped spinach, green chillies and onion in bowl with little water. Microwave or cook in vessel for 3-4 mins.
3. Grind this into fine paste with little turmeric powder and little salt.
4. Heat the pressure cooker. Heat one tsp of oil. Add cinnamon, cloves then add the grinded paste. To this add drained rice and add required amount of water and cook this as usual. For Basmathi rice, for 1 cup rice add only one cup of water since the grinded paste will make another cup.
5. Mean while take tawa. Add 2 tsp of oil. Add Mustard seeds when it splutter add the urud dal,channa dal and curry leaves. Let it turns golden brown.
6. Now add the chopped onions,Redchilli and the chopped spinach (more spinach gives more taste, minium 3-4 cups need). Add little salt for this (remember you have add little for rice).
7. Let if fry well. Once the rice is done let it cool and then add into this mixture. Don’t add hot rice and mix all the grains will break and gets mashed.
1. Why we are grinding half is to get nice color and flavour for rice. The other half which we are frying gives great look .
2. You can also add little coconut milk (say instead of 1 cup water you can add 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup water).
3. You can add whole milk too instead of coconut milk.
1. Spinach - a bunch
2. Wheat Flour - 2 cups
3. Besan - 2 tbspn
4. Cumin seeds/jeera - 1 tbspn
5. Chilli Powder - 1-2 tspn
6. Turmeric powder - 2 tspn
7. Ajwain(Ommam) - 1 tspn (optional)
8. Curd – 2 tspn
9. Salt acc to taste
10. Oil enough for roasting.
11. Sesame seeds - 1 tspn (optional)
12. chopped onion - 1 cup (optional)
1. Take a vessel, mix all the ingredients well and knead using curd and little water to make soft dough.
2. Set aside for 1/2 to 1 hr.
3. Make lemon size ball and roll it as you do for chapathi.
4. Heat the griddle and roast the rolled stuff.
5. Serve with any raita, plain curd.
GREEN PARATHA’S /ROTI’S
1. Instead of spinachleaves use methi leaves.
1. Use can use any combination of green leaves to make green roti’s.
Just to share with you….
Spinach is nothing but what we call as Palak. Greens are very very good for health. In Tamilnadu especially in villages people used (kadaiyarathu) to mash whichever eatable greens available. They used to cook in clay pots(manchatti) which gives a real good taste. I took that recipe as base and used to make my spincah in microwave. Since spinach bundle sizes may differ I am giving you only the ingredients and the way to make it. Also the time you are keeping in microwave deponds on the power of the microwave.
2. Onions(cutted aproximately handful)
3. Green chillies (indian chillies 4 approx)
4. Salt as needed
1. Wash spinach leaves and drain water.
2. In a mocrowave safe bowl put spinach leaves, onions, chillies, salt and 1/4 glass water.
3. Keep this in microwave for 5 mins.
4. Mash this or grinds this and have with rice.
You can temper mustard seeds, chopped onion, curry leaves, one or two redchillies in coconut oil and add to the grinded spinach.